We work hard in Torbay to support communities to become the best they can be – strong, resilient and able to champion everyone who lives there.
We can’t do it without your help and we are very grateful that you are considering raising much-needed funds to allow us to continue our work.
Torbay Communities is home to the Torbay Community Helpline whose staff and volunteers have helped thousands of people in the Bay with advice and guidance on a range of subjects from mental health to finance, and from housing to home from hospital.
Our team of Community Builders work in the heart of our communities supporting vulnerable people and helping ensure no one becomes lonely or isolated whatever their age, whatever their needs.
Things to consider (before you start)
- inform us, and keep in touch to let us know how things are going. We’re here to help
- promote Torbay Communities – whilst fundraising, you are also helping to spread the word. Please remember, you are representing us, which means you have a responsibility to maintain our good reputation
- always be clear about what funds Torbay Communities will receive, and state what funds (if any) will be used to cover costs
- we can help promote your fundraiser on our website and social media, but sadly we cannot guarantee the success of your event or the number of people involved – that is down to you
- use the Torbay Communities logo without informing us first
- misinform. Be clear on what funds Torbay Communities will receive
- forget to thank everyone who has supported you and remember to report back about how much you’ve raised, and what the money might be used for
- forget, you may need certain permissions from Torbay Council, particularly if you are considering street collections, public entertainment, selling alcohol, or door-to-door collections
- keep accurate records of all donations or proceeds and a record of activities undertaken
- keep all money raised in a safe, secure place – always separate from your own money
- if unfortunately, your event has to be cancelled, offer donations back promptly
Here are our top tips for raising as much money as possible:
Set a target
This will help to give your fundraising focus
Make it unique
People enjoy taking part in something new and interesting – try to think of ways to make your event different (see our A-Z of fundraising if you need inspiration)
Share what you are doing with your followers via Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn – this will show people how passionate you are about your cause
We can add information about your event to our website and social media, to make sure people know it is happening
If your event is sponsored, you can raise 25p more for every £1 you raise. If your sponsors are taxpayers, ask them to tick the Gift Aid box and provide their address on your sponsorship form, to make the donation go that bit further
You’ve decided how you’re fundraising, and you’ve got everything set up so now it’s time to get the word out:
If you can, post updates during your event. If that’s not possible, then let people know what’s happening before and after. Include pictures, any necessary links, and don’t forget to tag us @TorbayCDT
An excellent way to tell the story of your event with photographs and short video clips – before, during and after. Feel free to play with the filters!
Bolster your CV and share your fundraising with your LinkedIn contacts. Worth a shot with any of your professional contacts
If you’re part of any Whatsapp groups, they can be ideal to spread the word, especially if you’ve got the likes of a JustGiving page (a donation platform that works very well on mobile) you can share the link to
Don’t forget to follow and tag us on social media:
- Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram, Threads & Soundcloud = @TorbayCDT
- LinkedIn: /company/torbay-communities
Sponsorship is a great way to raise money for us and get all your family, friends and work colleagues involved. You can do it on or offline and there are several online platforms that make it all much easier such as www.justgiving.com
Don’t forget to encourage all your sponsors to Gift Aid their donation if they are a UK taxpayer as that means that we can claim an extra 25p for every £1 spent.
You may never know it, but you could be helping your relatives, your neighbours, and your friends. And rest assured you will be helping communities across Torbay and we promise that every penny you raise will be spent here.