24 Oct Volunteer: Directors of People’s Parkfield CIC
Would you like to be part of an exciting new organisation supporting communities and young people in Paignton?
Become a Director of the People’s Parkfield CIC!
People’s Parkfield is a newly formed Community Interest Company (CIC), incorporated in April 2023, with the purpose of securing and managing Parkfield House and Grounds as a Community Asset. Parkfield House and Grounds is owned by Torbay Council and has been leased to People’s Parkfield for 40 years from August 2023. It is beautifully situated at the Preston end of Paignton seafront backing onto Colin Road.
We are seeking enthusiastic and energetic individuals to become Directors of People’s Parkfield. These are voluntary roles, that enable people to make a positive contribution to their community. We are looking for Directors who are passionate about Parkfield reaching its full potential and have skills to contribute.
People’s Parkfield CIC’s ambitions are for it to be an innovative, safe community space in the heart of Torbay, for children, young people and all generations to thrive and grow, where opportunities flourish, where challenges are overcome and friendships are made.
Parkfield will be a diverse space, a place to: play, hang out, work, feel safe, volunteer, hold formal and informal meetings, get together, create new business ideas, explore heritage, enjoy arts & culture, make connections, have fun, feel welcomed, make friends, get fit, collaborate, explore the outdoors, relax, explore diversity and equality, learn to cook, learn to grow, explore nature, learn new skills, be creative, find a new direction, have a cup of tea, and take opportunities to learn about tackling climate change to reduce Torbay’s carbon footprint.
The house offers working and event space for VCSE organisations and groups, including youth groups. Shared space enables powerful collaboration between these groups and more opportunities for young people and communities.
The duties of a Volunteer Director are as follows:
- Attending monthly board meetings, taking part in discussions and completing any tasks that come up, making decisions in the best interests of People’s Parkfield.
- Ensuring that the organisation pursues its stated objects (purposes), as defined in its governing document, by developing and agreeing a long-term strategy
- Ensuring that the organisation complies with its governing document.
- Ensuring that the organisation applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its Community Interest Statement. (ie the CIC must not spend money on activities that are not included in its own objects, however worthwhile or charitable those activities are.)
- Ensuring the effective and efficient administration of the CIC, including having appropriate policies and procedures in place
- Ensuring the financial stability of the organisation
- Protecting and managing the property of the CIC and ensuring the proper investment of the CIC’s funds.
- Supporting the organisation on social media platforms and promoting the organisation as appropriate.
In addition to the above statutory duties, each Director will be invited to use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of directors reach sound decisions. This may involve scrutinising board papers, leading discussions, focusing on key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, or other issues in which the Director has special expertise.
We are particularly interested in help from people with one or more of the following skills:
- Youth and Community Work
- Financial Management
- Facilities Management
- Social Enterprise/Business Management
- Marketing and Communications
- Capital Fundraising
If you would like to register your interest in the role or you would like a tour of the house and grounds, please send your CV or an email detailing your interest and relevant skills to [email protected] or call Liz Muir on 07702565986. We hope to be able to invite applicants for a discussion by the end of November.