23 Oct Now hiring: Community Centre Supervisor, Torbay Community Café & Help Hub
Registered Charity Number 1165031
Vacancy: Community Centre Supervisor
Based at the Torbay Community Café and Help Hub, 4-8 Temperance Street, Torquay
£23,400 P/A pro rata – 15 hours per week
Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays 10am to 3pm (additional hours will be available to cover staff holidays)
Ellacombe Community Partnership is looking for the right person to join their small team of staff and volunteers to help run the Torbay Community Café and Help Hub. Could that person be you?
The Help Hub has an open-door policy for anyone who needs help or advice, alongside offering daily home-cooked meals. Clients include the most vulnerable in our community, including the elderly, the homeless, people with mental health problems, those recently released from prison, those in food poverty, and people who just need some company and someone to chat with.
The café offers activities throughout the week, as well as one-to-one support for those who need it, including benefit and housing advice, help with filling out forms, and hot meals for those who cannot cook for themselves.
The successful applicant will play a key role in ensuring the smooth running of the Centre and will be self-motivated, with the ability to work on their own initiative. Applicants will not be expected to offer counselling or advice, but an understanding of local community support organisations would be advantageous, along with proven experience in the voluntary sector or community development. Training will be available to further the role in the future.
The successful applicant will require a DBS check before starting work and will be expected to adhere to the Charity’s working Code of Conduct.
Duties will include:
- Being responsible for the supervision and welfare of volunteers whilst on duty.
- Meeting and greeting visitors and clients and defining the type of support that they may need.
- Ensuring that staff and clients receive a warm welcome and are treated with understanding in a non-judgemental manner.
- Encourage local services and activities to be run from the Centre, whilst developing connections with local businesses to improve resource donations for the Centre.
- Helping with activities when necessary
- Working closely with the team to ensure that information is shared internally so that the most appropriate help can be given to each client.
- Dealing calmly but firmly with any unwelcome behaviour which may affect the warm and friendly atmosphere of the venue.
- Ensure the Centre is suitably maintained and cleaned whilst on duty.
- Attend online partner meetings and staff meetings when required.
- The successful applicant will be a key holder and will be responsible for locking up on their days of duty.
- There will be an opportunity to assist with our outreach projects if required, including our Community Garden and Youth Work program.
If you think you are the right person for this role and would like to join the team, then please email a covering letter to [email protected], outlining why you think you would be suitable for this vacancy. All applicants will be contacted in due course, and we hope that the successful applicant will be able to begin their role in January. The closing date for applications is 30th November 2023.